Sunday, February 3, 2013

Figure drawing - 2: Miscellaneous

One week we didn't go to figure drawing class during at night an instead met on a Saturday to attend the L.C. Bates Museum. It is this really cool natural history type small museum. It has all assortments of taxidermy animals and bugs, as well as sea creatures, shells, and rock. It was awesome to spend a day there drawing whatever we wanted!!

This is the subsequent drawing I did after being told to loosen up and draw in-> out. My teacher gave my some Mylar (smooth, non-absorbant) paper, some solvent (non-toxic paintbrush cleaner) and some swabs. She told me to explore and just draw. I loved this media!! I love how this deer turned out, it looks very cool in person.

My second Mylar + ink + solvent sketch of a caribou 

My second drawing. I was more carefully going about placing the birds and shading them. When my (amazing) figure drawing teacher came around to take a look she told me that I definitely have a good eye for drawing things correctly. Therefore, I DON'T NEED to out go about it so carefully, JUST DRAW! Don't contour or outline so much: work inside out and decide which edges to define or not.

My first drawing of a giant 4 ft clam shell and a huge swordfish caught by Ernest Hemingway(or at least belonging to him, not sure). I don't particularly like these sketches, I used conte, I do like the way I developed the shell, the the swordfish isn't workin for me
Practicing drawing hands.. I could only use pen, and I was supposed to start somewhere in the hand and work out towards the edges. Therefore, they can become warped, but they are interesting, and not too contoured.




No comments:

Post a Comment