Saturday, February 9, 2013

Figure drawing 3 - Portrait journal

The outside assignment for figure drawing was to complete a sketchbook full of portraits throughout the semester. I absolutely loved this because I have always faces have always been one of my favorite things to draw. Over the semester I improved so much!

My first 5 sketches, each about 10-20 minutes. I took too much time outlining and trying to focus on likeness at first.


Trying a less exact side hatch style that I find relaxing and fun

People often have a certain, serious/ concentrated look while watching TV


Morgan is super focused in Walking Dead. She didn't notice me drawing her until Jackson decided to spill the beans

Adding some conte to add interest to a somewhat boring self portrait


Cute smile


Trying to work from the inside out: starting somewhere like the eyes or the nose and working towards the edge. Can be difficult but also helps improve skills and create less contoured drawings.

Working from the middle of the face out is trick, so sometimes features get skewed, especially when using pen.

I love playing with different pens. Pen is challenging and bold, I love using it because with it you want every mark to be worth the while




Capturing features in a more subtle, less detailed way, is fun


I like this somewhat illustrative /slightly dark and spooky portrait of Jackson

Working with a stick of graphite


Getting bored of shading and trying different techniques such as contour

Continuous line drawings

Jackson (far left) and his 3 roommates, Nick, Tyler, and Andrew. As seen above I draw Jackson all the time, so I decided to mix it up and draw Nick while he did homework. Then Tyler and Andrew wanted a portrait too! It was a lot of fun.

I really like this page, melding the faces into one

Trying new things

The effect of slightly dried out markers is interesting



My roommate and good friend Robyn!! Finally drew her as my last portrait, I'd been wanting to for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment